The National Propane Gas Association (NPGA) is the national trade association representing the U.S. propane industry. Our membership includes small businesses and large corporations engaged in the retail marketing of propane gas and appliances; producers and wholesalers of propane equipment; manufacturers and distributors of propane gas appliances and equipment; fabricators of propane gas cylinders and tanks; and propane transporters.
With a membership of approximately 2,800 companies in all 50 states, 38 affiliated state or regional associations, and members in 19 foreign countries, NPGA represents every segment of the propane industry.
To advance safety and to increase the use of propane through sound public policy.
- Advance safety throughout the propane industry.
- Achieve public policies that favor production, distribution, and increased use of propane.
- Foster industry-wide cohesion, through communication, learning, networking, and collaboration.
NPGA was originally formed in 1931 as the National Bottled Gas Association. The founders were H. Emerson Thomas (Phillips Petroleum Co.), George Oberfell (Phillips Petroleum Co.), and Mark Anton (founder and president of Suburban Propane Gas Corp. Anton was named president of the association. The first meeting was held in the fall of 1931 during the American Gas Association’s yearly conference.
Beginning in 1935, efforts were taken to organize the membership according to geographic subdivisions. In 1937, the membership voted to change the name to the Liquefied Petroleum Gas Association (LPGA). The association’s first membership publication, LPGA Jet, was issued in March 1939, but was suspended in mid-1942 because of war paper rationing. Until 1946, the association was administered by staff of the Compressed Gas Association.
In 1946, LPGA opened its offices in Chicago, Illinois. In 1955, it restarted its membership magazine, now called LPGA Times. The association remained LPGA until a 1964 merger with the National LP-Gas Council (an organization formed in 1949 to conduct sales promotion and public relations activities) under the collective banner of the National LP-Gas Association (NLPGA). The final name change to the National Propane Gas Association, or NPGA, was ratified by the membership in April 1988.
In 2002, NPGA moved its headquarters from Lisle, Illinois to Washington, DC, where it had operated a small government affairs office since 1962. Today the association remains an active and vibrant organization serving its thousands of members with safety programs, legislative strength, and a continued tradition of excellence.
NPGA Business Councils
NPGA Business Councils provide a mechanism for companies that wish to conduct advocacy, research and other activities on specific topics or areas of interest to the public and the propane gas industry. Generally, councils are formed around issues which are of concern to only one segment of the membership but not to all. This allows pursuit of their activities under the NPGA umbrella without expenditure of NPGA general revenues. Councils are funded by voluntary subscription and operate under the auspices of NPGA with oversight by the Executive Committee. Participation is open to all NPGA members and may include non-members, if desired by the council organizers. Councils are established and permitted to operate under the auspices of NPGA according to terms agreed to by the participants of the council and the NPGA Executive Committee.
NPGA Business Councils